Monday 23 January 2012

Much Love Mondays: Kitsch Bitch Jewellery

This designer is one that I love; she had opened her shop only 3 months ago, but it is off to a great start! Her work is so quirky, and original, and super affordable- I'm sure to snap up one of her pieces in the next couple days... I hope you will enjoy this little interview :)

Retro TV Necklace,Winged Vintage Style TV


1. Hi! Can you tell us about yourself?

Hello! I'm Kerry, 22 and I stay near Glasgow. I have a long term boyfriend and a wee dog <3 I just finished my first Open Uni course and I hope to work towards a degree in natural science.

2. How did you first get involved in designing?

This has actually been a recent venture for me. I used to, and still do, read a lot of fashion blogs and they would feature pieces from Etsy. From there I started reading craft blogs and I found the stuff people were making really inspiring. I love tutorials! So I figured hey why can't I do it myself. I started off making felt pieces, mainly brooches then moved onto jewellery which I looove.

3. How would someone describe your style?

Probably a bit quirky and eclectic. I like to wear fairly simple outfits, 50s shape cute skirt, a plain top with weird, bright accessories and shoes. So when I'm looking for shop supplies I like things that stand out because they're unusual/weird/really cute! I also adore all things kitsch (as you can tell from the name!) I think my gumball charm bracelets define my style as they're bright, unusual and totally unique.






4. What do you do when you aren't creating lovely pieces?

I recently just finished a course at the Open Uni (can't go to regular uni due to health problems) and it was good to get back into studying again, I want to continue with that. I like to see my awesome friends and watch TV series with my boyfriend. I play a lot of video games, namely World of Warcraft ( I know, I know!) and I'm currently reading Under The Dome by Stephen King. I also like make a racket on guitar with a friend. So pretty boring hobbies but I enjoy them all :)

5. What made you want to start Kitsch Bitch Jewellery?

Well as mentioned I have health problems and I spent 5 years in a rut doing nothing at all. I would just get up at whatever time in the day because I had nothing to do. After seeing other people's Etsy shops I just realised this was something I could do and I dove right into it. I love everything about it, making the pieces of course! But also the running of the shop, providing customer service and tweaking my listings to try get better and better.

6. What is a favorite item from Kitsch Bitch Jewellery?

My most popular items are my green Mario mushroom earrings and this super cute kawaii cat necklace 



For me personally I looove the new cameo necklaces, I've made a few for myself! I love pastel colours and the cute images. I'm going to have new ones in soon with different images.





7. Do you have any inspirations for the pieces that you make?

I tend to just go with what I'm drawn to aesthetically. I do love B movies though, zombies, gore... I like that you can find a bit of that in amongst all the cute!

8. What is the most challenging part for your label?

I'd say it's hard to have confidence in the pricing and also picking the "right" pieces. There's a lot of stuff in my shop that I picked because I personally liked but I'm not actually sure if it will sell! I think a lot of Etsy shop owners under price themselves and I am definitely erring on the side of caution. I think confidence in those areas is something that will come with experience.

9. If someone was interested in running their own business like yourself, what advice would you give?

My friend is actually considering opening his own Etsy shop and I'm trying to help him out a bit. Due to having a lot of free time I have been cramming in Etsy info the last couple of months. Reading the forums for tips really helps. I'd say the most important thing is understanding relevancy, making sure your titles and tags are wrote so you can be found easily by search. You could have the most amazing product but no one's going to find it if it's not search relevant. Study the seller's handbook, read the forums regularly and remember something can always be improved :) Thank you!








No comments:

Post a Comment