Monday 9 May 2011

I heart this Artist #01: Lou Makes




Hello All!

This is going to be my first blog interview ever with some new and upcoming artists/designers that I loved so much! I always enjoy reading off the etsy blog, with the 'quit your day job' and 'featured seller' posts, but I feel that I dont connect with those artists so much, so as they say, if you want something done, do it yourself!

So without further ado, I introduce you to Louise of Jewellery Company, Lou Makes.

1.Can you tell us about yourself?

I’m Louise, I live in Sheffield and I’m the proud owner of Lou Makes.

  1. How did you first get first get into Jewellery Making?

Well, one of my close friends has made jewellery for years and years now and I was always jealous of her creativity so when the TV broke at my house I needed something to occupy the few hours between finishing work and going to bed so I thought I’d give jewellery making a go…


  1. How would someone describe your style of the items you create?

They’re quite boho, hippie-ish aren’t they really? The decade I could probably most relate them to would be the 1970s, I could imagine them being worn on a beach with cut-offs and a kaftan ( so far removed than my day-to-day life!)

  1. What do you do when you aren't creating?

I work full-time so jewellery making is fitted in after work and at weekends and I also blog over at www.loublogs.co.uk so I have a lot to occupy my time with!

  1. How and why did you get into creating?

I do like making things and keeping busy, I enjoy sewing and cross-stitch so jewellery making just kind of came from that really. I like making things that you wouldn’t necessarily see in the shops whether that be a necklace or a dress, there’s a great sense of satisfaction when you’ve made something yourself!

  1. Whats the most favorite item in Lou Makes?

The most viewed item was the Night Owl necklace ( this has now sold out!) but my Berry Rings in all colours are also proving really popular.

Coral Berry Ring

Pink Drizzle Gold Berry Ring

My favourite though has to to be the Gothic Medallion with Turquoise Stone


  1. Whats the most challenging part for your label?

I think it’s getting yourself noticed above all the other jewellery shops out there and consistently thinking of new things to make you stand out from your competitors.

  1. If someone was interested in making jewellery, what would be the few suggestions you'd make?

Get networking, so twitter mainly but also blogs.

Choose things that you’d wear yourself whilst also paying attention to trends

Don’t just go for the cheap supplies from China, shop around and take bit of care with choosing your stock – this won’t go unnoticed!

  1. Anything else you'd like to add?

Yes please – how about a discount code for your readers? Over at my etsy site: use code KAT10 and get 10% off until midnight on 31st May 2011.

-Awesome! Thanks Louise for being my first interviewee. :)

I have a lot to say, but because I am mega busy, I will save one madness to blog a day, so stay tuned for tomorrow! :)

Kat xo

No comments:

Post a Comment