Monday 16 May 2011

I heart this Artist #02: Mountain Girl Clothing

Hello everyone :)

As you all would have read this, I will be on my way home from my first day of work experience, with the awesome Jewellery Company Tatty Devine, probably exhausted and hungry after the vegetarian lunch (I'm picky so I dont think I would be satisfied from it).

I absolutely love this designer, I believe in my eyes that she is very much successful with her etsy shop, with her load of sales and a loyal following of customers... I hope to be as great as her when I graduate and run my own eco-clothing line full time.

So, here is Margaret from Mountain Girl Clothing. I hope you find her garments just as enticing as I do.

1- Can you tell us about yourself?
I am a 27 year old New Hampshire native who has built my life around my love of clothing, sewing, upcycling, and turning old into new.

2- How did you first get involved in designing/making?
I learned to sew at 10 years old from my Grandmother who was an award winning quilter and my mother who has an amazing skill with a sewing machine. I've been deconstructing and reconstructing clothing ever since I was 13 and wanted to revamp my clothing without spending any money so I hit the sewing machine and never looked back.


3- How would someone describe your style of clothing?
I would say bohemian indie hippie chic but comfortable and versatile at the same time. Many of my clothing pieces can be dressed up or down and paired with basics or combined with more wild and crazy items to create your own look.

4- What do you do when you aren't designing?
When Im not designing or creating I love to thrift shop, rummage through the nooks and crannies of antique shops, listening to music, walk with my dog around the farm and spend time with my lovely friends and family. I sometimes have trouble not working as strange as that sounds...I just love it so much it's hard for me to turn it off, but Im learning the balance slowly.


5- How and why did you get into creating?
I can't really say how or why because I've been literally creating since I can remember. If I don't make something even for a day, it feels wrong.
I guess for many people, it's my life's work, so without it, my life is not the same or as satisfying.
6- What's a favorite Mountain Girl item?
I think my favorite Mountain Girl item is my backless cowl neck tank tops..they are so fun to create and can be worn with literally anything
.
7- What's the most challenging part of running Mountain Girl?
The most challenging aspect of Mountain Girl is learning to be a headstrong business woman. I know I am, but I just need to sharpen my skills which I am getting better at each day. I am not a numbers and figures person so thats a whole big roller coaster for me. It is also hard for me to not work, so learning when to take a break has been a challenge!

8- Do you have any influences/inspirations from other artists?
Little Doe Is Love, is one of my favorite designers. She makes amazing headdresses and crystal necklaces. Her photography is breath taking and when I am feeling a little flat, I always sift through her photos.
I also love to follow my fellow college alum Danielle Spurge. She is the heart and mind behind MerriweatherCouncil.etsy.com. She is a great inspiration to me because her work is absolutely gorgeous an she is also paving her own way as I am trying to! It is great to work along side someone who is also trying to do what they love, especially since we both started in the same place.
9- If someone was interested in designing, what would be the few suggestions you'd make?
The few suggestions I would make are : never undersell your work. It is an expression of what you love and you should hold it to a very high standard, make your work ethic just as important as it would be if you were working for someone else but even more so..because it is YOU.
Use all your resources: local and on the internet. There are many sites out there to help and guide you and never be afraid to ask for help. Ever.
Believe me, I've had to borrow money, repay debts, struggle and work hard with some help by the amazing friends and family around me.
Getting Mountain Girl up and running and to KEEP it running takes a lot more than just sewing.
I don't think I would ever want to be without it....I don't think I could be.
Everyday is a blessing that I am able to do what I love.


Thank you Margaret, for sharing :)

I hope you liked the article- I love finding new artists that I love and finding more about their shops... They really inspire me to do more with my life, and give me an insight as to how businesses are run.

Have an awesome evening.

Kat xo

2 comments:

  1. i love this and thank you for the sweet shout out, lady! I also love having a friend who is doing this crazy etsy thing! YOU are an inspiration - for real! So proud of what you've done with mountain girl!
    <333 Fabulous interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Danielle, that really made my day <3 thanks so much for your sweet comment! If you have any friends on etsy, please send them my way and I'll set up an interview with them too :) x

    ReplyDelete