Wednesday 7 September 2011

Much Love Mondays (on a Wednesday): Bits & Bows



I know I'm supposed to have posted this on Monday, but I didn't have enough time! I would have waited until next Monday, but I love this designer, I couldn't wait! I stumbled upon Sarah's website via Twitter and I instantly fell in love... the jewellery pieces she makes, is absolutely awesomely quirky and amazing! 

So here she is... :)

Hi! Can you tell us about yourself?
I'm a 25 year old Fashion Graduate, Freelance Jewellery and Clothing Designer, Self Employed Full-Time mommy from Birmingham :D

How did you first get involved in designing?
When I finished my GCSE's I wasnt sure what i wanted to do, so I stayed on at school to do my A-levels in THE most random subjects ever...Sociology, Health and Social Care and Travel and Tourism! such a mix! But it was here I realised you could do fashion courses at university! So I applied for a BTEC, got accepted and it all started there!

How would someone describe your style?
Ummm... I'd say vintage-esque and quirky! I like things nobody else will have! Prints and silhouettes that I know the shops wont have! I wear a lot of my own brand, aswell as mixing with Vintage, Primark and Topshop!


What do you do when you aren't creating lovely pieces?
Well I have a 6 month old baby girl! So she takes up every second of my days! And keeps me on my toes! I am NEVER resting! Lack of sleep is a regular thing now!

What made you want to start Bits and Bows?
I didnt want to move to London, which is where fashion is at its best! And also didnt want to work for anybody else, so I started it as a hobby while in my last year at uni, and it soon turned into something special :)

What is a favorite item from your collection?
Ohhhh well my customer best sellers are my scrabble rings and low back maxi dresses! I have lots of favourites! Including The Buckingham Vest Top and The brand new Bambi acrylic necklace! Ohhh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new exclusive range which is now on Truffle Shuffle! Thats probably my proudest moment up to date :)

Do you have any inspirations for the pieces that you make?
Each season I like to make a new collection of both jewellery and clothing, and I work ahead of the trends, so I look into trend prediction and colour palettes so I know what I need to work with! I get inspired by little things such as a mood I'm in, or a programme that comes on. I really just work with what feels and looks best and what id be happy to wear myself.

What is the most challenging part for your label?
Time! Having a baby and running a business is so hard! I've lost friends along the way, but I've realised they aren't true friends if they arent still here! A social life is very rare being a mom and an entrepreneur! Onwards and upwards is my motto and everyday that is a challenge is made up for in positive and exciting rewards!

If someone was interested in running their own business like yourself, what advice would you give?
I'd say just go for it! But remember you get what you put in! It is hard work and its taken me 3 years to get this far! Dont expect it to be an overnight success! Ohhh and Good luck :)

Thank you Sarah- you are amazing!

Catch her on Twitter, Facebook, her online shop, and get some wicked pieces from her exclusive collection at Truffle Shuffle! <3

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment