Wednesday 8 June 2011

My very first DIY post: Pleated Brooch

I am very excited to be showing off my first DIY post... It's been on my ever-growing to-do list for months now, and I have finally done one! whoop whoop!
What I will be showing you all to do is a pleated brooch. This is such a cute, quirky and whimsical way to transform your every day outfits.

Things you'll need:
felt (or any sturdy fabric)
pieces of fabric that can be cut into strips.
safety pin
sewing machine (or if you dont have one, a needle and thread will do)
sewing pins
crayon/marker
something circular, like sellotape, or any preferred circular object.

I've put all my images onto one flat image, as blogger is acting rather peculiar these days... so if you're not sure, read the instructions below first. :)
  1. get your circular object and place it onto the felt. get your marker and draw around the outside of it to get your brooch shape.
  2. cut out your shape.
  3. cut your fabric into strips and fold them on itself into pleats, securing with a pin as you go along. Make sure that your fabric is coming downwards at first.
  4. sew along the pleated fabric. repeat until you have pleated downwards, and then around the outer and middle of your brooch.
  5. get your safety pin and weave it into the fabric, and then onto your choice of clothing.
cute, isn't it? I had a brainwave just now... you could also attach it to a elastic headband, to create this vintage inspired look, but obviously sew it into the headband, rather than using a pin... that wouldn't be wise!

my shop, as I am pushed for time, is going to be added with goodies tomorrow, I believe. I want to sort out my hair and do my nails, as I love to pamper myself, just a little bit :)

have a great day!

Kat xo

No comments:

Post a Comment